I started writing a long post about why I did this, but I realized it's the same drivel that you've read everywhere else. So, instead, I'll just drop some bullet points.
- I was spending as much time on social media as I was work – if not more.
- I've been spending a lot of effort reining in my financial budget. I am now reining in my time budget.
- Facebook was showing me only things that made me want to quit the platform (hollow memes, angry peoples rants, excessive news (news is a psychotic trigger for me)), rather than things that would make me want to stay (friends/family posting about their lives).
I have already deleted the majority of my accounts. I am deleting Facebook 2 days from this post.
ALL of Social Media?
- Dribbble (professional reasons)
- GitHub (professional reasons)
- Simbi (I have a lot of currency I still need to spend)
- YouTube (I only ever used it for music/learning)
At the end of the day, all I'd really have to do is delete Facebook, and 90% of the problem would go away, but I decided to limit possible chances of replacing one thing with the other. Anyway, this should be an interesting change. I hope when I have thoughts of signing up again, I will remember the reasons I deleted.